JOSHUA (Justice Organization Sharing Hope United for Action), with RUTH (Responding with Understanding Truth and Hope) are grassroots interfaith community organizations based in Green Bay, WI and Manitowoc County. JOSHUA is in its 16th year of advocating for justice in the areas of prison reform, affordable housing and environmental justice with RUTH as a partner for several years. Together we are seeking a community organizer.
Responsibilities include recruiting and training people and organizations to become effective advocates for systemic change, and supporting JOSHUA/RUTH committees, task forces and activities.
Visit https://www.joshua4justice.org/, https://www.facebook.com/joshua4justice/, for a complete job description.
Please send resume with work and volunteer experience, and cover letter to “Community Organizer Hiring Committee” at email@example.com by July 1st.
Position: JOSHUA/RUTH Community Organizer
The individual we seek for the full-time position as Organizer for JOSHUA (Justice Organization Sharing Hope United for Action) and RUTH (Responding with Understanding Truth and Hope) will be committed to community building, passionate as well as committed to ending racial and economic inequity and reforming the criminal justice system in Brown County/Manitowoc County and Wisconsin. This person will lead in building strong relationships with individuals, congregations, and organizations sharing this goal. This position will require flexible hours, evenings and weekends. Must have willingness, ability, driver’s license and vehicle for frequent travel throughout the state.
Starting salary range is $35,000 to $40,000 based on experience and education. Health benefits and three weeks of vacation annually included.
JOSHUA and RUTH are affiliates of WISDOM, a statewide justice organization.
It is a growing and energetic community organization, currently including 23 faith-based and nonprofit organizational members and many committed individuals.
(Connect with us at the JOSHUA website at www.joshua4justice.org and JOSHUA Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/joshua4justice/. See the RUTH Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ruthmanitowoc/.)
- Build strong relationships with the JOSHUA /RUTH leadership team/board of directors, to understand their goals and vision for JOSHUA/RUTH.
- Recruit, train and support a diversity of people (including congregation leaders, persons with a wide range of ages, incomes, education and experience) to be effective, collaborative leaders in JOSHUA/RUTH and effective advocates for systemic change.
- Regularly attend meetings of JOSHUA/RUTH Task Forces, Focus Groups and Committees, and communicate and coordinate their efforts with other JOSHUA/RUTH members and allies. Current task forces: prison reform, affordable housing and environmental justice.
- Coordinate advocacy with local and State-wide task forces, teams, governmental agencies, including monitoring relevant legislative actions.
- Work collaboratively with all affiliate organizations in the WISDOM network.
- Coordinate and oversee fundraising efforts, including grant writing.
- Undertake other responsibilities as assigned by the JOSHUA/RUTH Leadership Team.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- Self-starter, with proven ability to convert goals into strategies and an action plan.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to translate policy and legislation into summaries understandable to the non-specialist.
- An understanding of JOSHUA’s/RUTH’s focus areas and ability to relate respectfully and empathetically especially with the most vulnerable members of our community.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated skills in building consensus.
- Computer skills and familiarity with social media.
- An understanding of how public policy is made and how to impact that process.
- Respect for and interest in persons and communities of various faiths.
- Experience in training and community organizing.
- Experience in fundraising and grant writing.
The immediate supervisor for this position is the Leadership Team of JOSHUA/RUTH additional support will be provided by the JOSHUA/RUTH Board of Directors. For oversight and professional development, the JOSHUA/RUTH Organizer is expected to participate with the WISDOM Organizing Staff, and to meet regularly with the WISDOM State Director.
JOSHUA/RUTH encourages committed, passionate individuals with these skills and qualities to apply.
JOSHUA/RUTH is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability status or any other classification protected under the law.
Applicants should submit to firstname.lastname@example.org a resume and cover letter
(Subject: Community Organizer Hiring Committee) by July 1, 2020.